Yield: 6 servings
This recipe requires multiple days. Plan accordingly.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 six-inch square dashima (seaweed)
- 3 medium dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 12 beef short ribs (about 5 lbs. total), cut into 2" segments
- Salt & pepper
- 2 onions, 1/2" diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and 1/2" diced
- 2 celery stalks, 1/2" diced
- 2 cups sake
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 Korean pears, peeled, cored, diced, and pureed in a food processor
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 oz. fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 lb. pearl onions
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. Yukon potatoes, quartered
- To make the dashi, combine all three ingredients in a stock pot. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 8-12 hours.
- Remove the lid and bring to a simmer. Be careful not to let it boil. Simmer for 80-90 minutes.
- Strain the dashi. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- For the ribs, heat the oil over high heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Place half the ribs in the Dutch oven and sear all sides until deep brown, about 5-8 minutes. Remove and repeat with the other half of the ribs.
- Add the diced onions, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Add the sake and mirin, and bring to a boil. Light on fire and let burn until the flames die out.
- Add the ribs, soy sauce, pear puree, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Add enough dashi (about 4 cups) to fully immerse the ribs. Bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the pot to the oven and cook covered at 325°F for 1 hour.
- Skim the excess fat from the top, return to the oven, and cook for another hour.
- If the meat is not yet tender, cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Skim any excess fat from the top.
- Place the Dutch oven on the stove and heat just until the mixture is liquefied. Remove the ribs and transfer to a plate.
- Strain the liquid, discarding the solids. Return the liquid to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Add the pearl onions, chopped carrots, and potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. The sauce should thicken.
- Add the short ribs back, and cook for 10 minutes to heat the beef.
- Serve with rice.
Adapted from My Korea.