Yield: 4 servings
I really love cooking Chinese food. It makes a huge mess, dirties a ton of dishes, and leaves my kitchen destroyed... but it's just so damned tasty. This is the type of dish that will really impress your friends.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- Oil for frying
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- If preferred, substitute 2/3 cup bourbon, 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- Sauce thickening, if needed
- Cornstarch mixed in cold water
- Dust chicken pieces in cornstarch. Deep fry in oil. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine all sauce ingredients. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- If needed, add cornstarch + water to thicken.
- Stir in chicken pieces and coat well.
- Serve over white rice with a side of vegetables.
I have made this recipe multiple times. However, I do find that 2/3 cup of brown sugar is SOOOOO sweet for us. I actually just slowly add in brown sugar until desired taste. I think that ends up being a couple table spoons, at most. Otherwise, I don't change anything and it is so delicious!ReplyDelete
Sherri, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were able to find a modification that fits you tastes.ReplyDelete