This is a traditional Finnish sweet bread. The cardamom gives it a unique taste, topped off with a coating of egg, sugar, and almonds.
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 3/4 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Combine milk, butter, eggs, 1.5 cups flour, sugar, cardamom, salt, and yeast. Mix well. Add additional flour until it forms into a dough.
- Knead on floured surface.
- Let rise in warm place for 45-60 minutes, until doubled.
- Punch dough down. Cut into thirds. Shape each into a long rope. Place on greased baking sheet or baking stone. Braid together, pinch ends, and tuck underneath.
- Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- For topping, beat together egg and water. Brush over top of loaf. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.