You top them with just about anything: peanut butter, jam, honey. They go with any meat & potatoes type of dinner and are simple to make.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 - 1.5 cups raisins (to taste)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and raisins.
- Fold in the buttermilk and oil.
- If needed, you can add upto 1/2 cup additional flour, though it's intended to be stickier then you might expect.
- Roll the dough out to 1/2 - 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into circles using a hollowed out 16 oz can. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400ºF for 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300ºF and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Don't let the heat out, just reduce the setting.