Yield: 12 servings
This recipe is sized for an extra-deep 9" pie plate. For a regular 9" pie plate, halve the ingredients and reduce baking time to 55-60 minutes at 350°F.
Pairs well with salted vanilla ice cream.
- Crust for double pie
- 1 cup butter
- 5 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 tsp vanilla
- Roll the pie crust and transfer to an extra-deep 9" pie plate. Trim and flute the edges. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the pecans, and cook while stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes. Remove the pecans with a slotted spoon.
- To the remaining butter, add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and salt. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- While whisking the eggs constantly, slowly stream 1 1/2 cups of the hot liquid into the eggs. This tempers the eggs without them curdling.
- Add the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan. Stir in the vanilla and the cooked pecans.
- Pour the whole mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 325°F for 80-95 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Stored covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Adapted from Taste of Home.