Yield: ~120 cheese straws
- 32 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups sifted flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- In a stand mixer, beat together the cheese and butter until it's smooth and whipped. This could take 10-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder. Add to the cheese mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a dough that's firm, but still soft enough to push through a pastry bag.
- Place the dough in a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- When fully cooled, use a knife to cut into thirds.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from The Food Network.