Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb. rotini
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cherry bomb peppers, diced
- 3 shishito peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, divided
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and sautee until browned. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions to al dente.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the peppers & onion and sautee for two minutes. Add the garlic and sautee for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and stir to combine. Pour in the cream & milk, and whisk until the flour clumps are gone. Cook for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until it's melted into the sauce. Add in 3 cups of the mozzarella and all of the cheddar. Continue stirring until fully melted. Stir in the salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rotini with the cheese sauce and 2/3 of the crumbled bacon. Transfer to a large greased casserole dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella, bacon, and panko crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.