Yield: 4 quarts
- 3 cups dark raisins
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Put the raisins and rum in an airtight container. Shake to coat thoroughly. Let soak overnight, shaking occasionally.
- Combine the milk, cream, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium pot. Heat slowly over low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture is steaming.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- While whisking constantly, slowly stream 4 cups of the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Keep whisking non-stop.
- When the egg yolks are thoroughly mixed into the 4 cups hot milk, pour it all back into the remaining milk mixture in the pot. Continue heating and whisking until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine metal mesh. Cover and chill overnight.
- Drain the raisins from the rum, reserving 1/4 cup of the rum.
- Combine the chilled ice cream base with the vanilla and 1/4 cup of rum.
- Churn according to manufacturer's instructions for ice cream, adding the raisins when almost done.
- You'll probably have to do two batches, depending on the size of your ice cream machine.
Adapted from Serious Eats.