Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 10 oz. pork rib meat, 1/4" cubed
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 1 large potato, 1/4" cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp jjajang (Korean black bean paste)
- 2 cups water
- Starch thickener
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Jjajangmyeon noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet. Fry the pork until golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion and potato to the skillet and use the remaining pork fat and oil to fry until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the peas and stir to mix.
- Clear a spot in the middle of the skillet by pushing the vegetables to the side, and add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and the jjajang paste. Stir them together to mix, and then stir in the vegetables until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Add two cups water, stir, and then simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While that's cooking, make the starch thickener by combining the corn starch, 1/2 cup water, and sugar in an airtight container. Place the lid on the container and shake vigorously to mix together.
- After ten minutes, check that the potatoes are tender. Once tender, add the starch a little bit at a time, mixing constantly, until it's thickened. You may not need all of it.
- Add the sesame oil and remove from the heat.
- To serve, place some noodles into a bowl and top with the jjajang mixture.
Adapted from Maangchi.