Yield: 3 quarts
Add the Nutella to the mixture and whisk to fully incorporate it. Pour the mixture through a fine metal mesh strainer into a clean mixing bowl. You will probably see little bits of egg caught in the strainer. Refrigerate the mixture overnight. Churn according to instructions for your machine. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze to harden.
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup Nutella
- In a large pot, combine the cream, milk, sugar, and salt. Heat slowly, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- When the sugar is fully dissolved, temper the egg yolks by very slowly pour 3-4 cups of the cream mixture into the egg yolks while whisking vigorously. It's important that you whisk constantly during this step, or the egg yolks will curdle.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the pot with remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- Gradually heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- If you prefer to use a thermometer, aim for 180°F.
Adapted from Entertaining with Beth.