Yield: 1.5 quarts
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups tart cherries
- In a large pot, combine the milk, whipping cream, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Heat gradually over low heat, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved and it's just about to simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 1/4 cup remaining sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Whisk together until the eggs lighten in color.
- While constantly whisking the eggs, slowly pour 1 1/2 cups of the heated cream mixture into the eggs. Whisking constantly is important so that they don't curdle.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the pot with the cream mixture while whisking constantly. Continue whisking while cooking over low heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- You can use a thermometer at 180°F if you're not confident to do it by sight.
Adapted from Bakes by Brown Sugar.