Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 42 oz. tomato sauce, divided
- 1 head green cabbage
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, beef, Worcestershire sauce, egg, yellow onion, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, dill weed, onion powder, red chili flakes, and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Mix to combine.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the entire head of cabbage and boil for 8-10 minutes. Turn it over halfway through cooking.
- Remove the head of cabbage from the water, and keep the pot of water boiling.
- Carefully remove leaves from the cabbage and cut the core off of each leaf. As you get down a few layers, you'll find it's still firm. Place the cabbage back in the boiling water to cook a bit more.
- Place a few cabbage leaves on the bottom of two 9x13 baking dishes.
- Take a fresh leaf of cabbage and spread 1/4 cup of ground beef mixture on top. Wrap it up into a small log, and place in the casserole dish. Repeat until you've used all the ground beef.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce with 1/2 cup of the cabbage water and whisk until combined. Pour over the top of the cabbage rolls.
- Cover the casserole dishes with aluminum foil. Bake covered for 2 hours 15 minutes.
- When done cooking, remove the foil and let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Girl Heart Food.