Yield: About 3 quarts
- Rhubarb-orange compote
- 630g rhubarb cut into 1/2" pieces
- 280g sugar
- 140g light corn syrup
- 17g orange zest
- 70g orange liqueur
- 35g butter
- Cream cheese ice cream
- 500g heavy whipping cream
- 800g milk
- 300g sugar
- 100g light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 300g cream cheese, room temperature
- For the compote, combine the rhubarb, sugar, corn syrup, and orange zest in a pot. Heat over low heat until the juices release from the fruit and the sugar and corn syrup are dissolved. Increase the medium heat, stirring occasionally until it simmers.
- Add the orange liqueur and butter. Return to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- To test it, freeze a plate. Put a drop of the compote onto the plate and return to the freezer for one minute. If it's solid but still soft then it's done. If it's runny then simmer for a bit longer.
- I did this three times, and still found a few tiny bumps remaining. They ended up being imperceptible after churning.
Adapted from Hello, My Name is Ice Cream.