Yield: 15 servings
Bake 10-12 minutes at 350°F. Let stand on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, and then cool completely on wire racks. For the filling, whip the butter and cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla. Add the confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time, and mix well. Fill a pastry bag with the filling. Pair each cookie together trying to match size. Pipe a generous amount of filling onto one half, and then top with the other half. Pipe laces onto the top cookie. Store refrigerated in an airtight container lined with wax paper.
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 6 tbsp shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 11 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture & milk into the creamed sugar. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer to a Ziploc bag (a 1-quart bag just barely fits the batter). Snip the corner and use as a piping bag to pipe a football shaped cookie onto the baking sheet.
- I aimed for about 3 3/4" wide x 2 1/2" tall. Keep in mind that they'll spread out a bit when baking.