Yield: 2 loaves
- Dry ingredients
- 2 cups dark rye flour
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3 tbsp wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- Wet ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening or lard
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the buttermilk and water. Microwave until lukewarm. Add the molasses and shortening, wait for the shortening to melt, and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix together until you've got a thick goo.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a dough. Knead for 6-8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled. About 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. For a regular loaf, roll into a large rectangle and roll up. Pinch the sides and bottom, and place seam-side down in a greased bread pan. Brush with water and sprinkle with oats.
- For a braided loaf, divide the dough into thirds. Roll each into a long rope. Pinch together the three ends, and then braid together. Pinch the ends together, tuck under, and place in a greased bread pan.
- Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled. About 45-60 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from The Iowa Housewife.
Post a Comment