Yield: 3 quarts
- 6 tbsp milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- Zest of two lemons
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 3 cups crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix the milk powder and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine the cream, milk, and corn syrup. Gradually bring to a boil whisking frequently to prevent scorching.
- Reduce the heat, add the sugar mixture, and whisk together until mixed. Simmer for two minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the lemon zest and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh to remove the lemon zest. Transfer to a mixing bowl in an ice bath. Let stand until it cools to room temperature.
- While it's cooling, combine 1 cup of the milk mixture with the xantham gum and mix well in a blender. Pour it back into the milk mixture and whisk together.
Adapted from Hello, My Name is Ice Cream.