Yield: 16 servings
- Rhubarb Compote
- 1 3/4 lbs. rhubarb, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, 2 inches long
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp cold butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- Extra cream
- Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan. Gradually heat until simmering. Simmer until the rhubarb has softened and broken down, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the yeat.
- Grate the ginger. Press the ginger in your fingers to squeeze out the juice. Add the juice to the rhubarb mixture.
- Let the compote cool.
- For the shortcakes, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, cream, vanilla, and milk. Mix completely.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface to 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 3" diameter biscuits.
- Place shortcakes on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with extra cream.
- Bake at 400°F for 14-17 minutes, until they are starting to turn a golden color on top.
- Cool the shortcakes on a wire rack. Serve warm with compote on top.