Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) devil's food cake mix, with ingredients to prepare
- 20 tbsp butter, softened
- 10 cups confectioner's sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- Red gel food coloring
- Black rolled fondant
- Prepare the cupcakes according to package directions. Divide the batter into 24 paper-lined cupcakes, and bake following package directions. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, whip the butter in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Add 8 cups of confectioner's sugar, milk, and vanilla, and beat together until smooth. Add the red food coloring and mix until you get a uniform color. (Don't forget to scrape the bottom)
- Add additional confectioner's sugar to get the desired thickness for piping.
- Roll the black fondant into 48 small devil's horns. Set aside.
- Using a round tip, pipe the fondant into a large swirl onto the cupcakes as shown in the picture. Add two horns per cupcake.
- I had some problems with the horns falling out. I recommend you make the frosting thick so that you have a strong base to hold the horns. The other option is to use toothpicks in the horns to anchor them into the cupcakes.