What better way to wake up then to some freshly baked caramel rolls? Cinnamon rolls, maybe? But this is still pretty damned good.
Yield: 15 rolls
Yield: 15 rolls
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp wheat gluten
- 4 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, gluten, and yeast. Add the milk, butter, and egg. Mix well until it's a thick goo.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a dough. Knead for five minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 90 minutes.
- To make the caramel, combine the brown sugar & butter in a medium pot. Heat until melted, then increase the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When it boils, immediately remove from the heat, add the corn syrup, and mix well.
- Pour the caramel into a 9" x 13" ungreased casserole dish. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
- To make the filling, combine the pecans, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Once the dough has risen, punch down and then roll into a 10" x 15" rectangle. Spread the 3 tbsp melted butter and then sprinkle with the filling. Roll tightly beginning at the 15" side. Pinch to seal.
- Using dental floss, cut into 15 1-inch rolls. Place in the casserole dish on top of the caramel. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 2-4 minutes. Flip upside down onto a serving pan or cutting board. Remove individual rolls and serve warm.