Yield: 3 quarts ice cream
- 1 quart + 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated ginger root
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 12 egg yolks
- In a stockpot, combine the whipping cream, ginger root, milk, brown sugar, and honey. Stir to mix.
- Heat slowly over low heat, stirring occasionally, to infuse the ginger flavor into the cream.
- While heating, whisk the egg yolks together in a separate mixing bowl.
- When the cream mixture reaches a gentle boil, remove from the heat and pour through a mesh strainer to remove the ginger pieces.
- While whisking the egg yolks, slowly stream in the cream mixture. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate over night.
- When fully cooled, follow instructions on your ice cream maker to churn into ice cream. Place in air tight container and freeze for at least 4 hours to solidify.