Yield: 15 servings
- Mayonnaise rub
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped celery leaves
- Zest of a lemons
- 1 large turkey (20+ lbs), fully defrosted
- Cavity fillings
- Quartered lemon
- Quartered onion
- 2 full heads of garlic, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp pepper
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the mayonnaise rub ingredients.
- Rinse your bird in the sink. Starting from the thigh-end, gently pull the skin away from the meat over the thighs and breast, being very careful not to tear the skin.
- Spoon some of the mayonnaise mixture between the meat and skin, and spread it as much as possible.
- Fill the cavity of your bird with the lemon, onion, garlic, and butter.
- Truss your bird using kitchen twine, and then rub the remaining mayonnaise over the outside. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Here's a helpful video if you don't know how to truss a turkey.
- If your bird is browning too quickly, cover with some aluminum foil.