Yield: 6 servings
We made this as a side dish with Roast Duck.
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Slice the potatoes thinly (1/8") on a mandolin. Set aside the potatoes, but don't soak in water -- we don't want to lose any starch.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cheeses and cornstarch. Toss together to mix well.
- In an 8" square baking pan, place one layer of potato slices with them overlapping generously. Salt and pepper the potatoes generously. Apply the garlic and onion powders. Place layer two of potato slices perpendicular to layer one. Sprinkle in 1/4 of the cheese mixture.
- Think about how much salt you'd use on five large baked potatoes. That's how much you should be using total over the next few steps.
Adapted from Brian Lagerstrom.