Yield: 3 servings
Add the flour and stir together. The batter should be thick. Melt the remaining one tbsp butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Scoop 1/3 cup batter for each pancake into the skillet. Cook until the edges start to look a little dry, 3-4 minutes. Flip and repeat until the second side has cooked, about 3-4 minutes. Repeat step #6 until all the pancakes are cooked. Serve warm with the strawberry syrup.
- Strawberry syrup
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Cornbread pancakes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Up to 1 cup additional buttermilk, as needed
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- More, as needed
- 3 eggs
- Place the hulled strawberries, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer until the berries are soft and the syrup thickens. About 20-22 minutes.
- Remove the berries from the heat. Pour them through a sieve to separate the chunks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a saucepan, combine the buttermilk, cornmeal, and two tbsp butter. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the butter has fully melted. Cook until it's very thick, almost a paste. About 2-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand to cool for ten minutes.
- Whisk the eggs into the cooled cornbread mixture. If it's too thick, add additional buttermilk.
- I added an additional 7/8 cup buttermilk.