Yield: 8 servings
- 525g water
- 225g evaporated milk
- Extra to thin the sauce, as needed
- 225g elbow macaroni
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 25g shredded Parmesan
- 125g shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 100g shredded American cheese
- 12g cornstarch
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the water, evaporated milk, macaroni, and salt in a pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and continue boiling until tender. About 8 minutes total. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter until melted and mixed together.
- In a separate bowl combine the cheeses and cornstarch. Toss to coat.
- Add the cheese to the macaroni. Stir to combine.
- If it's too thick, mix in some extra evaporated milk
- For the topping, add the olive oil to a hot fry pan. Add the panko breadcrumbs and fry for about 2-4 minutes, just until lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt and toss.
- Serve the macaroni hot, topped with fried panko breadcrumbs.
Adapted from Brian Lagerstrom.