Yield: 8 scones
- Caramelized Onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 white onions, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 2cups + 2 tbsp flour, divided
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Plus extra to brush over the scones
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese (~6 oz.)
- 3/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- Fleur de Sel (for sprinkling)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over medium-low heat for ~45 minutes, stirring often. The onions should become sticky and dark brown, but not burned. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter. Mix in the heavy cream and eggs until just barely combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 2 tbsp flour, 3/4 cup caramelized onions, shredded gruyere, and green onions. Toss together to mix.
- Add the onion & cheese mixture to the dough and mix to combine. It should be a sticky dough.
- Turn on a floured surface, adding enough flour to form a dough. Pat into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Slice into 8 wedges and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Brush with heavy whipping cream, sprinkle with fleur de sel, and bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from All Purpose Flour Child.