Yield: 12 servings
- 1 Devil's food cake box mix, with ingredients to prepare it.
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- 16 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Chocolate ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Chopped peanut butter cups
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare and bake the cake mix according to package directions in 9" cake pans.
- To make the peanut butter frosting, mix the butter and peanut butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar and continue beating until fully mixed and it has a fluffy texture.
- Use the frosting to assemble build a two-layer cake.
- To make the ganache, warm the whipping cream to a simmer. Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the cream over.
- Wait 1 minute while the chocolate melts. Mix vigorously with a spoon until smooth. If necessary, you can microwave for a few seconds to add more heat.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake, spreading towards the sides with a spoon. Allow a few drips to pour over the sides.
- Top with chopped peanut butter cups and chocolate sprinkles.
Adapted from Handle the Heat.