Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 4 oz. slab bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Combine the vinegar and sliced shallots. Let sit for one hour, stir occasionally.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet, until lightly browned. Drain the fat. Transfer the bacon to a separate bowl.
- In a medium pot, heat oil to 300°F for frying.
- Combine the flour and cornmeal together. Drain the shallots from the vinegar, and dredge through the flour. Fry in the oil, tossing occasionally, until crisp. About 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel.
- Heat the bacon skillet over medium-high. Add the 1 tbsp oil, swish around, and then drain the excess.
- Add the asparagus, season with the salt, and cook, tossing frequently, until almost cooked through. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and 1 tbsp water. Continue cooking until the asparagus is cooked through, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat. Add soy sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve the asparagus & bacon with the fried shallots on top.
Adapted from Bon Appetit.