Yield: 2 lbs. bacon
- 2 lbs. slab bacon (no skin)
- Curing salt
- Maple sage flavoring (if desired).
- We bought this as a kit from Sur la Table. Might try our own seasoning next time.
DirectionsFull disclosure: We used a kit from Sur la Table to do this. A kit is a convenient way to do this the first time, but don't feel obligated to do that -- I suspect we'll just buy ingredients ourselves for future batches.
- Place the slab bacon into a large zip-top bag. Add the curing salt (the container should tell you the ratio) and the flavoring (if desired). Shake it up to coat the outside of the pork.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for 1 week, turning daily. This gives the salt time to pull the moisture out of the bacon.
- Remove the bacon from the zip-top bag and rinse under cold water to remove excess salt. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the bacon on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 200°F until a thermometer reaches a temperature of 140°F. (About 2 hours)
- This spring we're going to try this on the smoker instead of an oven. Yum.