Yield: 15 servings
- 4 poblano peppers
- 6 cups dry macaroni
- Olive oil
- 5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 lb. shredded Monterrey jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil under high heat for 10 minutes, turning once. The skin should start to blister. Remove from the oven and place in a zip-top bag for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the bag. Peel the skin off, and then chop into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the macaroni according to package instructions. When done, drain and then place in a large dutch oven. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a large pot, whisk together the milk and flour until smooth. Cook over high heat, whisking constantly. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes until thickened. Add 2/3 of the cheddar cheese and 2/3 of the Monterrey jack cheese. Whisk together until melted.
- Pour the cheese over the macaroni. Add in the chopped poblano peppers and stir together.
- For the topping, in a small mixing bowl combine the salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and olive oil. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the macaroni, and then sprinkle the breadcrumb topping over that.
- Cover and bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and then serve hot.
Adapted from Oh My Veggies.