Have a little faith.
Yield: 8-10 servings (2 scoops per serving)
- Peach Balsamic
- 2 large peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- For the peach balsamic, combine the chopped peaches, honey, and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat until combined and the peaches softened. Remove from the heat, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- For the ice cream, combine the cream, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium pot. Warm over low heat just until simmering.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks with the remaining sugar. When the cream is simmering, remove from the heat and slowly pour into the egg yolks while continuing to whisk. Transfer the mixture back into the pot.
- Warm over low heat. DO NOT LET IT SIMMER! Continue warming until it has thickened into a custard. Remove from the heat.
- Place the milk into a bowl. Pour the custard through a fine metal sieve and into the milk. Whisk together. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, strain the peaches from the balsamic sauce. Simmer the balsamic sauce over low heat until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Combine back with the peaches and toss together. Return to the refrigerator to cool.
- When ready to make the ice cream, pour the vanilla custard into the ice cream machine and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream is done, place a layer of vanilla custard into an airtight container. Then spread a layer of peach balsamic. Repeat, alternating layers, until the contain is full.
- When you scoop into the ice cream, your scoop will cross layers and you'll get a combination of both.