Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup lemon zest (5-6 lemons)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp liquid pectin
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a saucepan, combine the cream and 1 cup of milk. Heat gradually until it begins to simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining milk, lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Once the cream mixture from step #1 comes to a simmer, add the milk/sugar mixture from step #2 and stir until combined. Return to medium heat, stirring continuously until it comes to a strong simmer and thickens. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the pectin. Strain through a fine mesh, pressing with the back of a spoon to push all the liquid through and separate from the pulp.
- It's tempting to skip this step. Don't skip it! You want a smooth texture, and it's really important to separate the zest back out.