Yield: 2 loaves
- 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 cups white flour, divided
- 2 cups whole grain rye flour
- 4 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp wheat gluten
- 5 tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp prepared horse radish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the white flour, the rye flour, caraway, fennel, sugar, wheat gluten, yeast, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the water, canola oil, and horse radish. Mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a dough. Knead for 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size -- about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Divide into two equal parts.
- Roll each out on a floured surface with a rolling pin into a large rectangle. Roll up along the long axis, forming a loaf. Pinch the seam closed, and place seam-side down in a greased 9" bread pan.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size -- about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
Adapted from All Recipes.