Yield: 15 servings
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 of a white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 28 oz. grated cheddar, jack, colby, or provolone cheese (Or a mixture of them)
- 1 can (28 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 lb. macaroni, cooked al dente
- In a small saucepan. Combine the balsamic and sugar and stir until dissolved. Cook over low heat stirring often until it has thicken and reduced.
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Saute the onions until clear and aromatic. Add in the garlic and flour, stirring until the flour is dissolved and the butter has thickened.
- Pour in the milk. Cook over medium heat until the milk is simmering. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Add in the cheese and stir until smooth.
- Stir the tomatoes and basil into the sauce. Then stir in the macaroni. Divide between a ungreased 9" x 13" casserole dish and a 7" x 11" ungreased casserole dish. Drizzle with the balsamic sauce.
- Bake at 425°F for 45 minutes.