Yield: 16 servings
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (approximately 13 large egg whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 quart cooking oil
- 1 1/2 quarts rum
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place the egg whites into a metal bowl. Whip on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla when there are soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Fold into the egg whites.
- Spread the batter into a 9" square pan with a piece of parchment paper on the bottom. Bake at 325°F for 40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut the bacon into bits. Cook in a cast iron pan. Set the bacon aside and keep the grease in the pan. Add the cooking oil and warm.
- Cut the cake into 16 pieces. Dip each in the rum and then try on all 6 sides in the cast iron pan. Once all sides are browned, remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust powdered sugar over each cake piece. Top with bacon and serve.
Adapted from Epic Meal Time.