Yeild: 1 loaf
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp warm water
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Dried basil to taste, approximately 1 tsp
- Garlic powder to taste, approximately 2 tsp
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 oz parmesan, grated
- Mix together the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, thyme, basil, fennel, and garlic. Add the oil, milk, and water. Mix until it forms a dough, and then knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface to about 12" x 20". Brush the dough with the oil and then sprinkle the basil and garlic powder. Sprinkle on the cheeses.
- Cut into six strips and stack them on top of each other. Cut again into six squares, stacking them up. Move the entire stack into a greased and floured breadpan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Cool in the pan before removing.
- You can either pull it apart to serve, or just slice it like a regular loaf.
Adapted from With Love and Cupcakes.