Yield: 12 servings
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- To make the cake, combine the flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites. Whip at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Beat in the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Sift the flour mixture into the egg white mixture, folding together.
- Spoon half of the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Run a knife through the batter to break up air bubbles.
- Sift the cocoa into the remaining half of the batter and fold in. Spoon into the tube pan over the vanilla batter. Run a knife through the batter to break up air bubbles.
- Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes.
- Invesrt the ban and cool completely. Carefully remove from the pan onto a plate.
- For the glaze, beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla. You can thicken/thin it as necessary by adding more milk or powdered sugar.
- Place the glaze into a ziploc bag and snip the corner. Drizzle half of the glaze over the cake as shown in the picture below.
- With remaining half of the glaze, mix in the cocoa powder. Fill another ziploc bag, snip the corner, and drizzle over the cake.
- Garnish with halved strawberries.
Adapted from MyRecipes.