Yield: 12 servings
- 8 tbsp buttter
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup.
- It'll work better if you use corn syrup with high fructose corn syrup mixed in. This is because HFCS acts as a stabilizer against formation of sugar crystals.
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups peanuts
- Line the base of a 10" springform pan with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides and bottom.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate. Be careful not to burn it.
- While that's melting, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla. Whisk in the melted butter and chocolate.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients mixing just until incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out almost clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan. Cool to room temperature.
- Once completely cool, invert the cake onto a wire rack, remove the parchment paper from the bottom, and return to the springform pan right-side up.
- For the topping, combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a large pot. It'll boil up a bit, so go one size bigger than your expecting.
- Stir to disolve, and then without stirring, cook over medium-high heat until it boils and begins to turn deep amber. If you see sugar crystals on the side then wipe them down with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Reduce to low heat. Add in the butter and cream and stir to mix. This is going to generate a lot of steam, so stand back.
- Once the bubbling dies down, mix in peanuts and stir to coat. Pour over the the cake while it's in the springform pan.
- Cool completely before removing the springform sides to serve.
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot.