- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4-6 tbsp cold water
- Caramel Drizzle
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 large granny smith apples
- 1/3 cup flour
- To make the crust, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening and butter. While tossing with a fork, add enough water for it to form into a dough. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll half of the crust on a floured surface. Transfer to a 9" pie plate.
- For the caramel drizzle, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Mix well and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat.
- Peel, slice, and core your apples. Toss with the flour. Pour into the pie crust.
- Roll the remaining crust and cut into 1" strips. Arrange in a lattice pattern on the pie. Seal and crimp the edges.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the pie, being sure to completely cover the lattice top and let the extra drip into the pie.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and cook for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com.