Yield: 12 servings
- 1 pie crust
- 6 oz german sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cans (21 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Extra chopped pecans.
- Line a baking sheet with your pie crust. Trim and flute the edges. Place pie weights in the center, line with aluminum foil, and bake at 400°F for 11-13 minutes. Remove the weights and bake for another 6-8 minutes until light brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling, in a small saucepan combine the chocolates and melt over low heat. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the filling in to the crust. Bake at 300°F for 16-19 minutes until it's set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the topping, in a saucepan combine the brown sugar, whipping cream, and butter. Over medium heat, bring it to a boil, stirring to make sure it's smooth and the sugar is disolved. Remove from the heat.
- Pour a small amount of the hot mixture into a bowl with the egg yolks, and whisk together until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan, whisk together, and cool for 2-3 minutes until a thermometer reads 160°F.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Pour over the filling.
- Sprinkle with extra pecans. Let cool.
Adapted from Taste of Home.