Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tbsp ground almonds
- 4 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- Whipped cream
- Sliced almonds
- Combine all of the crust ingredients in a bowl. Mix until well-combined and it looks crumbly.
- Press the crust into a greased 9" pie plate. Bake at 400°F for 9-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- For the filling, combine the sugar and eggs in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until it reaches 160°F, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and almond extract. Whisk together until fully mixed. Let cool to 90°F, stirring occasionally.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate mixture and whip on high speed for about five minutes. Pour into the crust.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least five hours.
- Top with whipped cream and sliced almonds around the perimeter of the pie.
Adapted from Taste of Home.