Yield: 3 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flatened
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Extra lemon slices for garnish
- Extra basil leaves for garnish
- Beat the egg and flour together until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, romano cheese, basil, lemon zest, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the egg mixture and let excess drip off. Dredge through the bread crumbs and then cook in skillet until browned, about two minutes per side.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet that's been lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes. Broil for the last minute.
- Top each breast with a lemon slice and basil leaf. Serve hot.
Adapted from Cooking Classy.