Yield: 8 servings
- 1 package brownies, prepared and baked according to package directions. You'll use about half of the batch, give or take.
- Crumb Crust
- 3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 18 tbsp melted butter
- 2/3 sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Brownies (from above)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tbsps confectioner's sugar
- Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. When you put the ring on the base it should pinch the paper tight and smooth. Grease the sides of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the crust. Press it into the bottom and sides of the springform pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until smooth, scraping the sides. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat until smooth.
- Take the brownies and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Gently fold 2 1/2 cups of the brownie cubes into the cheesecake batter. Pour the batter with the brownie cubes into the prepared crust.
- Put a large, shallow pan in the oven and fill with water. Keeping the humidity high during baking will make the cake turn out better.
- Bake the cheesecake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the ganache, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, whipping cream, and vanilla. Over low heat, melt the butter until it's mixed with the cream. Increase heat and bring just to a simmer.
- Combine the chocolate and confectioner's sugar in a small bowl. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and beat together by hand until smooth. (You might have to let it sit for a half minute to melt the chocolate) Pour over the cheesecake and gently spread out to the edges.
- Let sit at room temperature until the chocolate has set. Transfer to the refrigerator for at least four hours before serving (though preferably overnight).
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.