Yield: 24 cupcakes
This recipe brought to you by sous-chef Gwen.
- 9 oz. stout beer
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 11 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp Irish Cream
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp Irish Cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened and cut into 6 chunks
- Line cupcake sheets with paper liners.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the beer and butter and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cocoa powder. Remove from the heat and let cool for 8 minutes.
- In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Add the stout/butter mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Add in the egg mixture just until mixed.
- Distribute evenly amongst the 24 cupcake liners, filling each to about 2/3. Bake at 350°F for 16-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the ganache, heat the cream over medium heat until simmering. Place the chocolate in a bowl and pour the vanilla over the top. Stir until smooth. Add the butter and Irish Cream. Let stand until it thickens.
- Cut a small hole out of the top of each cupcake, removing a small "plug" of chocolate cake. (See picture below) Pipe some chocolate ganache into each hole. Cover with the "plug."
- For the frosting, in a large stand mixer cream together 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar with the butter until smooth and fluffy. Add another cup of sugar and the Irish Cream, beating until smooth. Mix in the remaining sugar and vanilla.
- Add the cream cheese and beat together until smooth.
- Using a star tip, pipe the cream cheese frosting on top of each cupcake at shown in the picture below.
- Store in the refrigerator.