The homemade version tastes slightly different and is pretty damned good. Give it a try and find out for yourself.
Yield: 18 cookies
- 11 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb. 5 oz. soft caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate flavored confectionary coating
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt and mix just until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Press the shortbread dough into a 9" x 9" silicone baking pan. Bake at 340°F for 18-20 minutes, rotating once in the middle. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the caramel, place the unwrapped caramels and whipping cream in a saucepan and heat gradually over low-medium heat, stirring frequnetly, until fully mixed and smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread. Let stand until fully cooled and then refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove the cookies from the silicone baking pan. On a cutting board, use a sharp knife to cut into nine long strips and cut each strip in half, resulting in 18 cookies.
- Melt the confectionary coating. Dip each cookie in the coating and place on wax paper to cool.
- Eat & enjoy!
Adapted from about.com.