Yield: 16 servings
- 2 boxes white cake mix, prepared
- Food coloring
- 4 containers (12 oz. each) whipped white frosting
- Ice cream
- Prepare the cake mixes according to package directions. Separate into six event portions
- Using the food coloring, dye each portion a different color of the rainbow.
- Line the bottoms of two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides & bottom.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheets, three colors per sheet. Pour in a line for each third, and then spread out until they touch. The boundaries don't have to be perfect.
- Bake at 300°F for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove the cakes from the baking sheet by inverting onto a wire rack. Cut each color apart.
- Frost and stack each layer of the cake in order of the colors of the rainbow. Square the edges. (I did a poor job squaring the edges, which is why mine is not level on the top)
- Turn the cake on its side to make the layers vertical. Apply a crumb coat to the outside.
- Apply the final coat of frosting to the outside. To make the textured surface, gently press a sheet of wax paper onto each side and then pull off.
- Serve with ice cream.