Yield: 12 servings
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) pigeon peas, drained
- Found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomao paste
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice
- Heat a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Brown the chopped bacon. When lightly crisped, add the onion, celery with leaves, and green pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender (5-7 minutes).
- Add the pigeon peas, tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and coconut milk. Stir together.
- Add the water and rice. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes until the rice is tender. Serve hot.
Adapted from Taste of Home.