Yield: 12 servings
- 1 package (16 oz.) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cloved garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup amber ale
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz. shredded cheddar, divided
- 8 oz. shredded colby
- 3 tbsp shredded parmesan, divided
- 4 tbsp chopped green onion
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, al dente.
- In a large pot, saute the garlic in the butter. Add the flour, mustard, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth. Add the milk, beer, and whipping cream. Gently simmer for 2 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat. Add the cheddar cheese, reserving 1 cup. Add the colby and half of the parmesan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese has completely melted. Add in the drained macaroni and toss until well coated.
- Transfer the macaroni & cheese to a greased 9"x13" casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheddar and parmesan. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the bacon. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand for five minutes before serving.
Adapted from Taste of Home.