Yield: 60 cookies (I used a medium-sized cookie cutter)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup backstrap molasses
- 1 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 7 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- In mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, shortening, and molasses. Mix in the water.
- Add the remaining cookie ingredients. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut into gingerbread men. Place on baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 330°F for 11 minutes. Transfer immediately to wire rack to cool.
- For icing, whip the egg white with a hand mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Add in the sugar. Add enough milk to make it soft enough to pipe. (It's ok if it's a little on the runny side)
- Use a pastry bag to pipe the face & buttons onto the cooled cookies.
- Store in air tight container.