Yield: 6 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp oil
- 4 lbs. potatoes
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Combine the butter and oil. Brush onto a 12" cast iron skillet. Set the remaining aside.
- Peel the potatoes and slice. If using a mandolin, set it for 3/8".
- Arrange the slices vertically in the cast iron skillet as shown in the picture. Randomly insert shallot slices between potato slices. Brush with the remaining butter/oil mixture.
- Bake at 375°F for 75 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. Return to the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- If desired, broil on high for 3-4 minutes to further crisp up the potatoes.
- Serve hot.
Adapted from Lana's Cooking.