Yield: 12 servings
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix + ingredients to prepare
- 1 box (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups butter at room temperature
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and tempered
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Chocolate shavings
- Prepare the cake mix according to directions on the box.
- Add the pudding, chocolate chips, and sour cream to the cake mix. Mix well. Divide evenly into two greased & floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 335°F for 38-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, cream the butter in a stand mixer. Add the chocolate & powdered sugar, mixing well. Frost the cake layers with a smooth finish. Pipe a star pattern along the base if desired.
- While the frosting is still soft, sprinkle the top with chocolate shavings. Press gently to push them into the frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Whipper Berry.